Wednesday, September 10

close call

so, since we moved to montgomery, i've had to get a new "baby doctor"...also known as an OBGYN. all i had to go on in my selection was the recommendation of a few friends. i ended up going with rachel's recommendation, but her doctor couldn't fit me in. it was time for my glucose test and i needed to get in right away so i took the 1 doctor in that practice who had an opening. now, keep in mind, i'm already a little nervous because it's a man. i've always had female doctors so this is an idea i'd have to get used to.
as i'm pondering all of this and waiting for my appointment, tony tells me that he talked to one of our pastors about me finding a doctor. he told her the group i was going with but couldn't remember my doctor's name. she told tony that 1 of the doctors in that group goes to our church. of course, when tony is relaying this story to me, he can't remember the name of the doctor from our church either!
so now i'm freaking out because, not only do i have to get adjusted to a male doctor, but i have to grapple with the possibility that i may also get to see him every sunday! of all the doctors, how could i have picked the one and only that attends our church? and of all the billions of churches in montgomery, why does he go to ours?! hooray! (spoken with oodles of sarcasm, in case you missed it) how awkward will this be?!? "grace and peace dr. so-and-so. good to see you this morning. i'm sorry, can you sit on the other side of the sanctuary? thanks."
well, luckily i got to talk to our pastor before my appointment and found out that the doctor i chose is NOT the doctor that goes to our church. WHEW!!! i'd rather not have to interact with him outside the office and hospital, and especially not at church!
i did get to meet the OBGYN that goes to our church. he and his wife are really cool and i look forward to getting to know them better. and it made me even happier that he's not my doctor. i mean, who wants to hang out and be good friends with their "that" doctor and his family? thanks, but no thanks!

6 comments:

Melodie Booton said...

i completely agree. talk about awkward!

jennylou said...

yeah, that would be weird. How do you look someone in the face and say "peace be with you" when last time you saw them they had latex gloves on and were scrutinizing your nether regions? I hope the new doctor works out well! It's a tough time to switch, I know.

Diane said...

Whew.. glad you avoided that crisis. You would be on the phone in the doctor's office trying to get the 411 on the doctor. :) You just would. Hope you are feeling good!

Anonymous said...

My chiropractor goes to my church and, depending on the injury and therapy involved, it can get awkward! But still not as awkward as an OBGYN!

Of course, in my case, my OB office has 5 doctors and we have to rotate through all of them so that whoever is on call at the hospital the day the baby is born, I'll be familiar with the doctor and comfortable with the experience. So if it were me, I'd be stuck seeing the guy from church anyway! Glad it worked out for you.

megan said...

I guess Ive never thought of it like that. I am sure it is different since I am girl, but I hope that no one will ever feel awkard around me once I start looking at va-you-know-whats all the time. I wonder if people I know will want me to help them have their babies or not. Youve given me a lot to chew on.....

stephycherie said...

megan...i think you'll be ok because you are a girl. i would love for someone i know...of the female persuasion...to be a part of that whole process. i think most women would feel the same way.